Match Report
St John's School, Leatherhead 2nd XV vs  Epsom College
On: Saturday, 10 Dec 2016
Venue: Away

You could feel the energy and excitement in the air with these two rivals meeting for the last game of the season. There was a nervousness in all the lead up but when it came to match time and kick off, the boys were all ready to go. The early exchanges were even and the game fluttered around the half way mark. St John's gave away an early penalty which Epsom converted making the score 3-nil to Epsom. For the rest of the half it was all St John's and we pressure their line on numerous occasions coming away with nothing after 3 possible tries going begging. It was from a long range move from our own 4o meter line that brought the first score for us. A wonderfully played backline move which saw Jack Rickerd weaving his way to the line with dummies and show and goes. He completed this amazing run from 50 meters out jus like the greats of old (Welsh old). The try was converted making the score 7-3 to St John's. In the second half with the wind and the hill in their favor Epsom started well but they soon ran out of steam as our defence held firm. The game again seemed to congest around the 40 meter to 40 meter part of the pitch with both sides finding it hard to make the break needed. On the 50th minute of the game we had a half chance and the ball was passed along the line to Harry Roberts who took a wide arc outside the covering defence and sprinted t the corner with two Epsom players on his back to score. This made the score 12-3 to St John's with the conversion missed. Epsom eventually broke through our defence after 60 minutes of the game played and raced in to score under the posts and made for an easy conversion. This made the score 12-10 to St John's with 10 minutes to go. For the remainder of the game we kept the play in the Epsom half and held onto the ball for most of the time which by now had slowed down. It seemed to take an age for the final whistle to come but when it did the boys and the supports raised their hands in triumph. It has been a long season and we have seen the 2nd XV evolve into a solid rugby team who play with passion, pride and creatively. Even Mr Smith had a tear in his eye. Final score for the match. 12-10 to St John's.