Match Report
St John's School, Leatherhead Boys-U15A vs  Wellington College
On: Saturday, 18 Mar 2017
Venue: at Home

A home match against Wellington to finish the season saw a re-adjusted team take to the pitch owing to Ralph, Ballard and Paget being absent for different reasons. Haddad and Tubman started instead, with Lawes on the bench. The new midfield of Mead, Bednall, Haddad and Tubman took a little while to settle and the quality of passing was limited. Sellick dropped deep and sought to link with Loy who had adopted the main striker role. Both forwards shot wide early on but chances were being made. Wellington offered little threat, although their striker worked hard. Thomas and Salter appeared in control in the centre of defence, assisted by Eichelmann and Genco at full-back. Keeper Farnsworth saw little of the ball. Sellick made the breakthrough, receiving the ball from Loy and running beyond the Wellington defence to shoot beyond the keeper. He doubled the score within ten minutes, a classic move starting wide left, running at the defence who proved unable to stop him bearing down on the box and again shooting beyond the keeper. Other chances came and went in the first period.

The second period started with Loy dropping into midfield, Mead assuming the striker role with Genco moving to left midfield and Lawes making his debut in defence. Early pressure saw Loy shoot first time from the edge of the box, for the keeper to parry it wide, where Tubman pounced to finish from a tight angle. Wellington responded well and enjoyed their best period of the match, but the St John's defence stood firm. The team forced a series of corners from which they had free shots or headers, none of which were on target. As the game ebbed on neither side managed to take control and the game finished with a comfortable home victory. The side enjoyed a very good second half to the season and finished a creditable position in the league, albeit ruing two early season losses in tight matches.